Strategic Legal Consulting
Leslie (Les) B. Overman is a registered patent attorney and a Ph.D. Biochemist with substantial industry experience as a bench scientist before entering the legal profession.
Dr. Overman's research, business, and legal experience provide a valuable perspective for helping clients integrate their IP needs with their business objectives in global patent procurement and licensing, as well as patent infringement and freedom to operate analyses.
Some examples of scientific subject areas for which he has advised clients include: protein and DNA diagnostics and therapeutics spanning areas of oncology, immunology, and microbiology; protein post-translational modification; genomics, agricultural biotech, personalized medicine; and medical devices. Some of the products for which Dr. Overman has represented clients include diagnostics for microbial infection, disease susceptibility and progression, nucleic acid vaccines, massively parallel nucleic acid sequencing technology, stem cells, novel nucleic acid modifications, nucleic acid delivery technology, agents that modulate gut hormones, skin care formulations, tissue bulking agents, methods and devices, handheld electronic nose devices, and polypeptides from snake venom modified for medical uses.
Dr. Overman also has provided counseling in non-biotechnology areas that include simple mechanical devices including construction tools, run-walk shoes, portable fencing, automated animal watering devices, pipette tips and pipette tip handling devices.
Dr. Overman is a Past President of the San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association and Past Chair of the Licensing Executives Society San Diego Chapter. Dr. Overman is also Past Chair of the board of directors for the University and State Employees (USE) Credit Union.
- Prosecuted and obtained issuances for patents worldwide for CureLab Oncology, Inc., a small biopharmaceutical company developing DNA vaccines for cancer and chronic inflammatory conditions.
- Represented a biotechnology startup company in a potential patent inventorship dispute resolved in client’s favor, represented client in patent license negotiation, and provided counseling for patent procurement.
- Prosecuted patents for a Ukrainian pharmaceutical company for the purpose of gaining a foothold in US market for their product.
- Provided patent due diligence including Freedom to Operate for venture firm investment evaluation in biotechnology company.
- Prosecuted patents regarding a new midsole design for race walking shoe company, ReShod Walking Shoes LLC.
- Provided Freedom to Operate analysis for a veterinary diagnostics company.
- Prepared patent non-infringement opinions for Chinese manufacturer of smartphone components.