Member News provides an opportunity for SDEE members to share news and announcements. This month's Member News features:
- Aequor, Marilyn Bruno
- Baywind Bio, Chris Rhodes
- DDE Labs, Chris Rhodes
- Persephone Biome, Stephanie Culler
- Welfie, Steven Moyo
Aequor, Marilyn Bruno
- Aeqor’s pilot projects with NASA Marsh Flight Center (water treatments) were expanded to include surface de-contamination with the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab.
- Aequor’s was selected to participate in the Department of Energy DISCOVR program and is working with the Sandia National Lab to improve algae biomass production in open ponds.
- The One Health Commission listed Aequor on the Who’s Who of One Health, the United Nations’ initiative to break down the silos between environmental, animal and human health. Aequor's products are effective on all three counts, with remedies against the antimicrobial resistant (AMR) pathogens (the Superbugs) wherever they are found. December 19, 2019 – Thanks to efforts of Aequor and many others to promote the UN One Health goals, the U.S. Congress named January One Health Awareness Month.
- October 16, 2019 – Dr. Bruno - panelist at the Outsourced Pharma conference. Dr. Bruno serves on the Editorial Board of Outsourced Pharma Magazine.
- October 31, 2019 – Dr. Bruno – panelist at the Advanced Bioeconomy Leadership Conference (ABLC Next) in San Francisco - http://biofuelsdigest.com/ablcnext/
- November 6, 2019 – Dr Burzell selected to pitch at San Diego Innovation Showcase in the Cleantech Track: https://www.sandiegoinnovationcouncil.org/showcase-2019/
- December 10, 2019 – Aequor was selected out of 500 applicants for Plug and Play Spring 2020 competition - https://www.plugandplaytechcenter.com/
- December 19, 2019 – Aequor won Department of Energy (DOE) Phase Zero grant – for assistance in writing a Phase I grant application for $200,000.
- Aequor is among the nominees for 50 Hottest Companies in the Bioeconomy. To win, we need your help! Vote for us before the December 27th deadline. Just click on this safe link and select Aequor as a Red Hot! Scroll the end and click Finish.
Baywind Bio, Chris Rhodes
CEO Chris Rhodes wins Biocom's DeviceFest 2019 Hot Seat Competition. Baywind Bioventures crowned "Hottest New Device Company in Southern California" for presenting JetCAP™ a revolutionary oral capsule device developed in collaboration with DDE Labs. The Hot Seat event hosted by Biocom has audience members listen to promising new technologies and then vote on the winner. Baywind Bioventures, an incubator for technology platforms developed at DDE Labs, presented its patented JetCAP™ technology. JetCAP™ beat out other Hot Seat finalists Chris Memmott of Applied Infusion Technology and Ty Takayanagi, of Triple W. Baywind Bioventures received a check for $5,000 and is featured in the new issue of Biocom Lifelines Magazine. more on JetCAP at http://baywindbio.com/jetcap/. Linelines article at: http://drugdeliveryexperts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/LifeLines_Fall2019.pdf
DDE Labs, Chris Rhodes
“DDE Labs recent patent in collaboration with Very” Breakthrough Formulation Developed in Collaboration with DDE Labs. VERU-100 is a novel, proprietary peptide formulation that has been fast-tracked by the FDA for clinical development. Veru Inc. (NASDAQ: VERU), an oncology and urology biopharmaceutical company announced that it has a reached an agreement with FDA on an expedited regulatory pathway and clinical development strategy. Veru-100, developed at DDE Labs, has proven multiple beneficial clinical attributes for addressing the androgen deprivation therapy market for advanced prostate cancer. “I am particularly pleased that VERU-100 was internally developed by the Company in collaboration with DDE Labs and not acquired from a third party,” said Mitchell Steiner, M.D., Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Veru. Chris Rhodes, Chief Executive Officer of DDE Labs commented, “Veru has been a great collaborator and we look forward to this exciting new therapy becoming available to patients.” Full press release at: http://drugdeliveryexperts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Veru-100-PR-04JUN2019.pdf
Persephone Biome, Stephanie Culler
Persephone Biome will be featured on Advancements TV, hosted by Ted Danson of Cheers fame on CNBC, Saturday, December 28th at 11 am ET/8 am PT. Here's the link: http://advancementstv.com/12-28-19_1100a/
Welfie, Steven Moyo
Welfie launched the beta version of our app and it is available at welfie.com. Welfie has been connecting and collaborating with community organizations and are focused on promoting heart health and preventing heart disease in San Diego communities. With a particular interest in communities of color and the underserved. Welfie is growing and has added two additional team members this past fall.